Tuesday 17 May 2016

Trying to grow some plants


I can't say I've ever had much luck with growing plants since I usually forget I even have them.  It's a terrible thing to say but I really do sometimes forget and it can only take a matter of days without water for them to become shrivelled up brown things. Fingers crossed this isn't the first and also last time you'll see these plants.  I'm keeping my eyes on them daily and treating them like small green odd shaped babies.


The top picture is of sweet peas which I'm soon planning on replanting.  They soak up their water daily. Crazy thirsty little blighters. They're not dead yet so that at least shows you that I've been topping them up on a daily basis.

My other little plant children are cacti. If someone can tell me what the grassy stuff is, I'd love to know.  All I planted in there was a cacti and succulent mix so I'm not too sure what it is. It just looks like grass to me.  My tiny baby cacti are popping their little heads up all over the place. They're in a dome (photos taken with lid off) and the condensation that runs down inside it keeps it nicely moist and warm for them. I must be doing something right because again, they aren't dead yet.


If you're interested in trying any of these out yourself I got the sweet pea kit in Waterstones as part of the Julie Dodsworth range.  You can also pick them up on Amazon here. My cacti dome kit also came from Amazon which you can find here. I bought a separate pack of seeds as an Amazon add on as the reviews on the dome weren't great in terms of the seed growth.  Cacti seed packets are only a a few pounds so I thought it was better to buy them separately. The dome itself was really what I was after as I'm planning to grow them in this which creates perfect conditions and then move them into a nice terrarium when they're a bit bigger.
Do you know of any other great 'grow your own' kits? Have you had any plant successes or disasters? I'd love to know!

1 comment:

  1. How sweet! I love cacti also and for the most part they seem to look after themselves. Best of luck in your planting adventures! x0

    ReplyDelete